Thursday, August 28, 2008
How to completely clean reinstall iTunes (Mac/Windows)
Often times you may experience issues with your iPhone 3G and iTunes. If you sync your iPhone, iTunes may indicate its syncing by displaying a little spinning arrow but your actual iPhone is idle and doesn't say that a sync is in progress. For this kind of issue, you may need to try reinstalling iTunes completely altogether with its subcomponents.
For Windows users
1. Completely close every program running on your PC including iTunes. Make sure that all USB devices like iPhone and iPod are not connected.
2. Open Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs... wait for the list to populate all the Programs on your computer. You should be able to find "iTunes" as one of the programs listed, select it and click on the remove button on the lower right corner. The process of uninstalling should begin immediately.
3. You will also need to uninstall the following programs. They are all included in the iTunes installation package.
* Apple Software Updater
* Apple Mobile Device Support
4. Restart your computer as requested.
5. To reinstall the latest version of iTunes, go to www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Save the file on your desktop for easy access.
6. The name of the iTunes installation file is "iTunesSetup.exe" just double click and run the program and wait until Installation finishes.
For All Mac Users
1. Quit all applications running
2. Open the Applications folder, put iTunes.app in the trash
3. Remove com.apple.itunes.plist located at Home folder\Library\Preferences\
4. Download the installer from apple.com/itunes/download and install